The Caledon Papers amount in total to c.600 volumes and c.17,550 documents, 1639-1951, and are divided into three categories.
The Caledon Indian Papers are the East India Company Papers of James Alexander, 1st Earl of Caledon (1730-1802). They consist of 33 volumes of copy out-letter books, 1760-1772, ledgers, journals and cash account books, 1759-1775, and c.40 loose letters and papers, 1772-1800.
James Alexander, the second son of Alderman Nathaniel Alexander of Londonderry, was the effective founder of the Alexander/Caledon family, and certainly the founder of its fortune. He arrived at Fort St George, Madras, in 1752, at the age of twenty-three, and became a factor there. He was also employed under the Accountant for Madras, and in 1754 became Sub-Accountant and Book-Keeper of Deposits from the Mayor's Courts. He was Sheriff of Madras in 1754 and again in 1757. In the latter year he became Junior Merchant at Madras. In 1759, he was appointed Third in Council at Vizagapatam; in 1760, Senior Merchant and Third in Council at Masulipatam; and in 1762 Eleventh in Council at Fort St George, Civil and Military Paymaster, and Military Storekeeper. He returned to the British Isles in 1763.
In 1766 he came back to India, this time having been appointed to Fort William, Calcutta, as Sixth Member of the Bengal Council, Import Warehouse Keeper, Custom Master and Mint Master. In a letter of introduction to someone in Madras, through which he passed in January 1767, he was described (significantly) as 'Coja Alexander' - 'Coja' meaning a wealthy merchant: '... I make no doubt' the writer continued 'you have given him every kind of curry that ever was invented at Madras. He deserves it; he deserves a great fortune, for he has a noble spirit. ...' In 1769, he became Fifth Member of Council (his own recollection of these details differed somewhat - see D/2432/5/4/1), Collector General, Accountant and Custom Master, and in 1770, Third Member of Council, Chief of Patna and Chief of the Council of Revenue for Bihar. He was listed among the Nawab of Arcot's creditors in 1771. In that year he was promoted Second Member of Council and appointed Chief of the Council of Revenue at Murshidabad. He left India in 1772.
An Irish 'nabob'
James Alexander's career, in India and in the East India Company's civil service, is of particular significance in the context of his native Ireland, since it was an unusual career for a contemporary or near-contemporary Irishman to pursue. It is also significant even in the wider context of the British in India. Dr P.J. Marshall has written: [Among the great fortunes which were amassed in Bengal before the end of the 1760s] '... were [those] made by Francis Sykes, Thomas Rumbold and James Alexander, who had all taken a rich harvest out of the early revenue administration, Sykes as Resident at Murshidabad, Rumbold at Patna, and Alexander at both. ... Alexander, one of the relatively few Irishmen in the Bengal civil service, believed that he was worth about £150,000 when he left Bengal in 1772. He acquired nearly 9,000 acres in Ulster, from which he hoped to derive an annual income of some £7,000, and became the 1st Lord Caledon. ...'
The authority for the statement that James Alexander 'believed that he was worth £150,000 when he left Bengal in 1772' is a copy of a letter from him of 20 January 1772 in D/2432/1/7. However, it is difficult to reconcile this with the evidence of D/2432/5/4/2, a document which did not come to light until the final sorting of the Caledon Papers in 1980. This is a slim folio volume containing details of Caledon's 'unfinished concerns in India', 19-23 February 1772, his instructions to Messrs William Aldersey, James Lawnell, John Graham, George Vansittart & Hugh Inglis about the management of them, and his further instructions to Josias Du PrŽ [Governor of Madras, 1770-1773, his sister's husband] for raisin the £96,400 Irish, or £89,077 British, required for the purchase of the Caledon estate [at the end of 1775]. Alexander values his 'unfinished concerns in India' at £534,468, including £138,461 in cash; and a subsequent calculation, probably made after the purchase of Caledon, states that he has '£298,523 in Bengal' and £61,500 'at command' (including £1,000 lent to Lord Holland. In other words his fortune, which was certainly large by any standards, may have been even larger than has hitherto been appreciated.
For other subsequent correspondence and accounts of the 1st and 2nd Earls of Caledon relating to Indian investments, etc, see D/2433/A/3/1-3, D/2433/A/4, and D/2433/B/4. For further Indian business papers held in PRONI, see D/654/B/1, the papers of Sir Robert Cowan; and for other Indian paymastership papers, see D/3077/D, the papers of Major-Colonel G.V. Hart, Paymaster General for the Malabar Coast, 1788-1792, and Deputy Paymaster General for Madras, 1792-1799.
The Caledon Cape Papers are the papers of the 2nd Earl of Caledon (1777-1839) as Governor of The Cape and Good Hope, 1807-1811. They consist of c.70 volumes of MS and printed material (minutes of judicial proceedings, copies of The Capetown Gazette, etc), c.5,500 letters in loose or letter-book form, and a number of patents, maps, plans and architectural drawings, 1796-1830, but mainly 1807-1812. They constitute a reasonably complete, albeit not unique, record of his administration at The Cape.
Civil versus military authority
Lord Caledon was not, literally, the first British civil governor of The Cape, having been preceded in that capacity by Lord Macartney and Sir George Yonge, successive holders of the office between the first conquest of The Cape, and its cession back to the Dutch under the terms of the Peace of Amiens of 1802. Rather, Lord Caledon was the first civil governor after The Cape's reconquest from the Dutch by General Sir David Baird in 1806. The question of the relationship between the civil and the military authorities of the colony, personified in Lord Caledon's relationship with the Commander-in-Chief, General Sir Henry Grey, was the most troublesome of the former's period of office as Governor, and the issue on which he resigned in June 1811.
Lord Caledon's record as Governor
Less than three years after his departure, in March 1814, an open letter (D/2431/17/4/2) was written defending his record as Governor. The writer, Colonel Christopher Bird, Deputy Colonial Secretary at The Cape (subsequently Colonial Secretary), was well qualified to speak, although his partisanship on Lord Caledon's behalf is unconcealed. In another part of the Caledon Papers (D/2433/C/11/28), Lord Caledon's own appraisal of his Governorship of The Cape is to be found. It occurs in the course of a letter which he wrote to the Prime Minister, the 2nd Earl of Liverpool, in 1818 stating his claims to be given a peerage of the United Kingdom: '... The administration of the colonial government during my residence there for a term of four years, was more than usually arduous, in consequence of my being the first civil governor after the capture of the settlement, and from there being no records of a former British government in any of the public offices at The Cape. ... I hope I shall be excused for stating that, upon my own responsibility and under the most embarrassing circumstances, occasioned by the loss of four British frigates which were to have protected the convoy, I detached 2,000 infantry to co-operate with the force from India in the reduction of the Mauritius. In a letter from Lord Minto [Governor General of India] upon that occasion, he acknowledges the public service I rendered, not only as relating to the fall of the Mauritius, but adds that it was to the co-operation I afforded he was indebted for the means of moving against Java. ...'
Besides Lord Liverpool, Lord Caledon's principal official correspondents in the Cape Papers include Liverpool's predecessor as Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, Lord Castlereagh, Castleregh's Under-Secretary, Edward Cooke, and other London-based officials, Colony Agents, etc. There is also a run of correspondence with the already-mentioned 1st Lord Minto. The principal correspondents in or near the Cape are General Grey, Admiral Sir Robert Stopford, and sundry other military and naval officers; also, on the civil side of the Governor's business: Henry Alexander (the Colonial Secretary) and Colonel Bird, J.A. Truter (the Fiscal, subsequently the President of the Court of Justice), and Major Robert Collins and Dr A. Cowan (who explore the interior of The Cape and make reports on the native tribes), etc.
Other noteworthy correspondents during the time of Lord Caledon's governorship are: Zachary Macauley, who writes among other things about the slave trade, 1810; Governor Macquarie of New South Wales, about trading links between the two colonies, 1810-1811; Sir Joseph Banks, about establishing a botanical institution at The Cape, 1811; and John Nash, about materials/embellishments for the new Court of Justice and Fiscal's office, 1811. There are also some French Empire-style and neo-classical designs, by L.M. Thibault, General Inspector of Buildings at The Cape, for Lord Caledon's residence, Wite Boem's farm, c.1806-1810.
Later Cape material
Lord Caledon maintained an interest in Cape affairs after his return to the UK. His principal correspondents during this period, the years 1811-1830 are: Colonel Bird; the next two Governors in succession to Lord Caledon, General Sir John Cradock (later 1st Lord Howden) and Lord Charles Somerset; the 3rd Earl Bathurst, Lord Liverpool's successor as Secretary of State for War and the Colonies; Sir John Barrow, Secretary to the Admiralty; and the London banker, Alexander Baring, who features prominently in a correspondence of 1825-1827 over the state of the paper currency at The Cape. Other Cape material subsequent to the governorship will be found elsewhere in the Caledon Papers at D/2433/C/11/23-30.
Just as not quite all of the Cape material is to be found in the Cape section, so the Cape section contains material either or wider relevance than, or of no relevance to, The Cape. One of Lord Caledon's letter-books (D/2431/5/9) includes correspondence about the Tyrone Militia, Irish estate financial and political affairs, law and order in Co. Tyrone, Lord Caledon's appointment as Lieutenant of that county, etc, 1803-1804, and 1811-1831. The correspondents on these topics include Bishop Percy of Dromore [illustration of Thomas Percy, Bishop of Dromore], the 11th Lord Blayney (Lord Caledon's brother-in-law), and the Chief Secretaries for Ireland, Robert Peel and E.G. Stanley. In short, this material dovetails with the Caledon personal and political correspondence in D/2433/B-C.
Other political correspondence, in this case during the Governorship years, relates to Lord Caledon's relations with the government at home and, in particular, to the parliamentary conduct of the two members, Josias Du Pré Porcher and Nicholas Vansittart, whom he returned for the notoriously rotten borough of Old Sarum, Wiltshire. He had bought this borough and estate in 1802, for c.£43,000, with a view to increasing his claims to some form of suitable official employment. Though he consistently denied that his appointment to The Cape had been a 'political' one, it was undeniable that the seats for Old Sarum had been an added recommendation. Doubt therefore arose as to whether he owed a political loyalty to the home government for the time being, or to the Grenville administration which had appointed him and which had fallen from power soon afterwards, in March 1807. There is correspondence on this subject with Lord Grenville himself, Porcher and Vansittart; also with Lord Castlereagh, who held office in the government which succeeded Grenville's. It is not the least interesting aspects of the Caledon Cape Papers that they illuminate this shadowy area between political and public service.
The Caledon Papers (exclusive of the Cape and East India Company Papers) consist of the estate, business, family and political papers of the Alexander/Caledon family, 1639-1951, but mostly 1776-1951. In quantity, they amount to c.500 volumes and 12,000 documents.
Lord Caledon's estates
In 1776 James Alexander, later 1st Earl of Caledon, purchased the Caledon estate in Cos Tyrone and Armagh for £96,400 from the 7th Earl of Cork and Orrery, whose father had acquired it my marriage into the Hamilton family of Caledon in 1738. James Alexander had already acquired property nearer his native Londonderry: the house and demesne of Boom Hall, outside Derry, the Churchland estate of Moville, Co. Donegal, and a fee simple estate near Ballycastle, Co. Antrim. The Caledon estate was extended by piecemeal purchases of adjoining townlands and by the leasing of other adjoining townlands belonging to the Archbishop of Armagh. Another extensive but more remote property at Castlederg, Co. Tyrone, known as the Derg estate, was purchased in 1861 by the Guardians of the 4th Earl of Caledon from a kinsman of the Alexanders, Sir Robert Ferguson, through the Landed Estates Court. The Caledon family took an active interest in the management of their estates. For instance, the 2nd and 3rd Earls made extensive improvements to Caledon village, erected Caledon flour mills, gave financial support to the poor of Caledon and to schools on the estate, and improved their property by draining, liming, etc. In addition, large sums of money were spent improving and extending the 'big house' at Caledon (variously known as Caledon House, Caledon Hill and Caledon Castle), and on laying out the richly ornamental demesne and gardens of over 600 acres.
Title deeds and leases
Not surprisingly, the title-deed and lease material among the estate papers dates mainly from the 1770s, although there are some earlier Hamilton and Cork and Orrery deeds, 1639 and 1667-1765. The vast majority of the c.1000 title deeds, leases, legal and testamentary papers, 1776-c.1850, relate to the Caledon estate, but some relate to Moville, 1737, 1777-1788 and 1825-1840, Boom Hall, 1765-1844, the Derg estate, 1802-1886, and the property in the Caledon area of Co. Armagh leased from the Archbishop of Armagh, 1768-1875. There are three lease books for the Caledon estate, c.1776, c.1830 and c.1871, the most interesting being the earliest, which contains a summary of leases from 1735 and a statement of the position of these leases at the time of James Alexander's purchase in 1776. The most modern of the lease/agreement material has not been individually numbered and described. It consists of c.1,000 agreements relating to conacre lettings, cottier tenancies, the letting of grazing land, farms and the Caledon town parks, 1851-1946; and a quantity of Irish Land Commission papers, 1881-1916.
The other estate material is of the usual varied nature. There are c.2,500 letters and c.50 letter books and files, 1775-c.1940, including the estate and business letter books of James Alexander, 1st Earl of Caledon, 1775-1802. There is a good run of copy out-letter books, 1855-1939, which contain the correspondence of successive estate agents and relate to both the Derg and Caledon estates.
Account books, accounts, vouchers, etc, total c.4,000 volumes and documents, starting in 1773. They include: estate and business ledgers and journals of the 1st and 2nd Earls, 1773-1833; account books relating to work done on the house and estate at Caledon, 1779-1782; estate ledgers, 1831-1922, including a very detailed set from 1831 to 1869 which illustrate the involvement of the Caledon family in estate matters as regards agricultural improvements, farm consolidation, the planting of hedgerows, the maintenance of schools and roads, etc; estate cash books, day books, and annual accounts, c.1856-1949; demesne farm cash books and annual accounts, c.1889-1946; account books, 1880-1890, with annual accounts, 1914-1943, relating to Craw and Carrickaholten sheep farms on the Derg estate; cash books, 1881-1922, and sales books, 1935-1949, for Caledon gardens; day books, etc, of Caledon flour mills, and Dyan corn, flax and scutch mills (near Caledon), 1879-1888; a large number of miscellaneous loose accounts, receipts and vouchers relating to the demesne, gardens, demesne farm, diary, flour mills, household, etc, at Caledon, from 1772; and various wages books relating to garden labour, demesne farm work, masonry and forestry work on the estate, etc, c.1886-1951.
Rentals, surveys, valuations, etc.
Rentals, surveys, valuations, etc., account for a further c.200 documents and volumes, and start in the 1770s. The main series of rentals for the Caledon estate begins in 1828 and runs almost without a break to 1916, but there are isolated rentals for 1766, 1774 and for the period 1800-1810. There are also: rentals and rent accounts for the Ballycastle estate, 1788-1799; Moville rentals, 1839-1840; rentals for the Derg estate, 1864-1928, together with some bog rentals, 1888-1943; rent blotters for the Derg and Caledon estates, 1869-1948; rentals for weekly tenancies of property in Caledon, 1873-1942; surveys and valuations for the whole or part of the Derg estates, 1823-1906, and for the Caledon estate, 1774, c.1800, 1816 and c.1855; reports on Caledon gardens and plantations, 1857-1866; and stock registers, 1873-1922.
Maps and plans
A disappointing feature of the collection is the almost complete absence of early estate maps, apart from maps of parts of the Caledon estate in 1737 and of the Antrim estate in 1763, and a map and survey of Caledon Castle gardens, 1783. In addition to annotated Valuation and Ordnance Survey maps of the estates there are also, for the Caledon estate, 14 townland maps, c.1820 and 30 townland maps, 1870s; maps of Caledon town, 1813, c.1840, c.1870 and 1893; and two designs for a foot-bridge at Glenarb, near Caledon, c.1840.
Among the more miscellaneous items are: several inventories of silver plate, furniture, etc., at Caledon Castle, from 1778; Aghaloo Yeomanry Corps accounts, 1796-1797; an account book of the Mendicity Society of Caledon, 1829-1869, which was formed in 1829 by the 2nd Earl and his wife for the relief of the poor in the town and neighbourhood; plans, accounts and correspondence relating to the building of Brantry Church, Co. Tyrone, erected at the expense of the Dowager Lady Caledon, c.1844; and papers relating to the Blackwater drainage scheme, 1889.
Probably the most exciting of these miscellaneous, or fringe, estate papers relate to the 2nd Earl's refurbishing of Caledon House in the period 1806-1813 (during most of which he himself was absent at the Cape). These papers include 150 letters, estimates and drawings by John Nash and his assistants, 1806-1812; 2 letters from John Hoppner relating to a portrait of the 2nd Earl, 1807, together with a letter from Sir Thomas Lawrence stating his terms for painting portraits of King George III and Queen Charlotte for Caledon, 1806; and 6 letters concerning the purchase by Lord Caledon of the library of Bishop Percy of Dromore, 1812-1813.
The family papers include: accounts from tradesmen for work done on the family's Dublin town house in Cavendish Row, Rutland Square, and for myriad items of personal consumption, 1773-1801; accounts and inventories relating to the London house at Carlton House Terrace, c.1827-1928; 2 letters from Maria Edgeworth, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford, to Lady Caledon, concerning the redemption of Abbotsford for Sir Walter Scott's family, 1833; family and personal letters of the 2nd Earl and his wife, 1811-c.1850, including correspondence with their son, Viscount Alexander, first at Wimbledon school and then at Eton, c.1822-1825, and correspondence with tutors about Alexander's education, c.1826-1830; letters from Lord Blayney and others to his brother-in-law, the 2nd Earl, about the misconduct of Blayney's son, Cadwallader, at military college and his expulsion from the college, 1819-1823; letters to the 2nd Earl and his wife from Lord Alexander in Quebec where he was a serving soldier, 1838-1842, together with a journal of a tour by canoe with Sir George Simpson, Governor of the Hudson's Bay Company, as far as the Red River, then on to the plains to join in the great buffalo hunt and ending up at St Peter, Minnesota.
There are a number of interesting items of uncertain provenance. These include: 6 letters, 1689-1693, from John Tillotson, Archbishop of Canterbury, to Lady Russell, wife of William Lord Russell, who was executed in 1683, relating largely to ecclesiastical affairs in England, with a passing reference to the naming of the Rev. George Walker as Bishop of Derry; a late 18th century account of an expedition to the West Indies under Lord Cathcart in 1740, by Lord Elibank; letters from Colonel Richard Burne, Madras, written during Lord Cornwallis's campaign there in 1791; and a letter from Charles Warre Malet, Poona, 1791, referring to his having received a baronetcy and to Lord Cornwallis's attack on Bangalore.
Among the Caledon papers are the family letters and papers of the Blount, Freeman and Yorke families of Tyttenhanger, Hertfordshire, 1723-1856. Some of the papers derive from the Hon Charles Yorke, Lord Chancellor of England in 1770, who had married the Freeman heiress in 1755. [Illustration of Charles Yorke.] In 1811, the 2nd Earl of Caledon married Lady Catherine Freeman Yorke, daughter of the 3rd Earl of Hardwicke [illustration of the 3rd Earl of Hardwicke]. Ultimately, the Caledon family inherited Tyttenhanger, which had belonged to Lord Hardwicke's mother, the sister and heiress of Sir Henry Pope Blount, 3rd and last Bart. It seems probable that Lady Caledon contemplated writing some sort of history of her own family, was handed over family papers for the purpose, but never finished the job.
The Blount/Freeman/Yorke section of the Caledon Papers includes: a copy of a letter from Cromwell to his wife, 1651; letters and papers of Lady Blount, wife of Sir Thomas Blount, 2nd Bart, 1725-1745, including letters to her from her son, James Blount, about family finances and municipal politics in Newport, Isle of Wight, 1737-1738; financial papers of Mrs Catherine Freeman, sister of Sir Henry Pope Blount, 1757-1761; miscellaneous verse, mostly 18th century, sent to or written by members of the Blount, Freeman, Yorke and Lindsay families (the wife of the 3rd Earl of Hardwicke was a Lindsay) which frequently commemorate specific events, such as the death of Nelson in 1805.
'An injured Queen'
The Yorke/Hardwicke material is conspicuous for its political content, which includes c.200 letters to Sir Robert Murray Keith, British Envoy at Vienna, 1772-1792. [Illustration of Sir Robert Murray Keith .] Though apparently not related to the Yorke family in any way, Keith seems to have entrusted his papers to his fellow-diplomat, Sir Joseph Yorke, Lord Dover, third son of the 1st Earl of Hardwicke. The letters in this collection cover the period February 1776 to December 1777. They relate to the affairs of Jamaica, of which Keith's brother, Sir Basil Keith, was Lt-Governor until his death in 1777; to the American War of Independence, about which Keith received (usually stale) news from various official sources in London; and to the European aspect of the war, which is discussed in letters from the British diplomatic representatives in Paris, Constantinople and at various German courts, such as Lord Stormont, Sir Robert Ainslie, Sir Morton Eden and Hugh Elliot. These letters vary in content from comments on high politics to a progress report on a boil on the King of Prussia's posterior. There are also family letters from Keith's sister, Anne Keith, which provide a good deal of information on social and cultural life in and around Edinburgh, and contain references to David Hume, Dr William Robertson, etc. There is one isolated item relating to the romantic high-point in Keith's diplomatic career - his rescue of George III's sister, Queen Caroline Matilda of Denmark, from imprisonment or worse for infidelity and worse, 1772 (the item in question is a report on the legal proceedings against the Queen). Some of Keith's letters and papers were published in 1861 by a Mrs Gillespie Smyth in The Romance of Diplomacy ..., but none of the letters and papers in the present collection is included in the published volumes.
The Yorke/Hardwicke papers
The Yorke/Hardwicke material proper consists of letters to the 2nd and 3rd Earls of Hardwicke. The letters to the 2nd Earl and from Horatio Walpole, afterwards 1st Lord Walpole of Wolterton, 1745-1748, and concern the politics and tactics of the War of the Austrian Succession, with particular reference to the Dutch; and from Edmund Burke and Walpole's more celebrated nephew and namesake, young Horace, afterwards 4th Earl of Oxford, about literary matters, 1772-1781.
The bulk of these papers, however, c.500 items, consist of letters to the 3rd Earl of Hardwicke. These concern his grand and other tours, his picture-buying and early political career, c.1773-1790; his term of office as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1801-1806 (including letters from his Chief Secretaries, William Wickham and Charles Long, and from Pitt and Frederick ('Prosperity') Robinson; and miscellaneous, political and literary matters, 1806-1834. The correspondents of the period 1806-1834 include Lords Erskine, Spencer and Grenville, the last of whom states his views on the peace terms to be negotiated with Napoleon in 1814, Sir Joseph Banks, Henry Brougham, John Wilson Croker, Henry Ellis, William Wilberforce, etc. The rest, and vast majority, of the Hardwicke and Keith Papers are in the British Library.
Political papers of the 2nd Earl of Caledon
The political papers of the Caledon, as opposed to the Hardwicke, family, number c.550 documents and volumes and relate almost exclusively to the 2nd Earl of Caledon, who succeeded his father in 1802 and died in 1839. These of course exclude his Cape papers (D/2431), which however overlap with some of the political correspondence in D/2433.
D/2433 contains papers about the Tyrone Militia, 1799-1804; papers about Co. Tyrone politics and elections, 1812-1813, with some references to Co. Monaghan as well; correspondence about the 2nd Earl's successful candidature for the Irish representative peerage in 1804, the 3rd Earl's in 1839-1840, and the aspirations of Lord Blayney, the 2nd Earl's brother-in-law, to that and other political honours, 1801-1815; and papers about the financial and political aspects of the 2nd Earl's Old Sarum estate, Wiltshire (see the introduction to D/2431). These last relate particularly to the Old Sarum elections of 1807 and 1812, the latter of which concerns Nicholas Vansittart and was a consequence of the assassination of Spencer Perceval. The 2nd Earl's role as Lieutenant of Co. Tyrone, 1831-1839, is fully documented in two out-letter books. The rest of his political correspondence is of a less definable nature, and can broadly speaking be summarised as dealing with the Caledon family's relationship with the government of the day, particularly with Dublin Castle, 1805-1807, and with Lord Liverpool's administration, 1820.
The Irish Distress Committee
The 2nd Earl also held the non-political office of Chairman of the London-based Irish Distress Committee, 1831-1835. This Committee, under the chairmanship of Lord Caledon, was concerned with raising subscriptions in England and providing cargoes of food for the distressed areas of Mayo and Galway. It dissolved itself in 1835 and handed over its remaining funds to local committees and (presumably) its records to Lord Caledon. The records, which amount to c.70 volumes and letters, include rough minutes, subscription lists, details of grants, and press cuttings of advertisements, together with the copy out-letters of the Secretary, W.H. Hyett, 1831-1835, with some of his in-letters for 1835.
Introduction To Caledon Papers (D2431)
The introductions to significant privately deposited archives under the letter C